This is Amy Carder's Blog. She'll post lots of thoughts here about church life, home-schooling, raising four, make that five kids and all of the other craziness that our life together throws at us.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bun Day!






I can't believe my very best Icelandic friend neglected to tell me about Bun Day!! We missed out on this tradition last year, but we made up for it this year. We didn't know the whole tradition (see below) until last night so we missed out on the part where our kids beat us. But at least we got the cream puff part.




Bolludagur - Bun Day
On this day children, with colourful wands, try to wake up before their parents and spank the parents in their beds, saying "Bolla, bolla", (Bun, bun). The number of spanks being equal to the cream-buns they will receive during the day. Not a very old custom. Celebrated on Monday before Langafasta (Lent).

Copied from : http://www.simnet.is/gardarj/folk/days.htm#lang

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I am so sorry my dear Amy. All I can say for myself is that I am very very busy being the mother of three!! And with one spouse leaving to a designated warzone.
I didnt not have time to bake any BOLLUR this weekend since we had Agustas birthday party but now that I have seen these photos I think I am gonna make it a late BUN Bun day - Bolludagur- and make some this friday!!!!!
Wish I was there with you guys but you know what I will be threre before you know it since a day has been desided and guess who is meeting me up there after Some Fun In The Desert?!?!?!
Love and miss you all!!!

12:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home